Kadaknath Chicken Breed information
The new Kadaknath production technology has reduced the mortality rate from greater than 50% . Now you can expect to 10 to 12% of mortality, this enhanced the survival percentage and overall profits in Kadaknath chicken farming. Because of high feed conversion ratio , these birds can gain body weight of 1.10 to 1.25 kg in 100 to 125 days. Kadaknath chickens can be reared similar to country chicken or free range chicken. However, It may require little more care initially to grow in controlled environment. Later they can be left freely in open field. One can grow these birds in back yards. In fact, Kadaknath chickens are best suited for back yard farming rather growing on commercial scales.
There are 3 different breeds of Black Meat Chicken (BMC) is available in the world.
- Kadaknath – Native to Madhya Pradesh, India.
- Silkie – Native to China.
- Ayyam Cemani – Native to Indonesia.
- Kadaknath chicken meat is textured and flavoured.
- This black meat has good medicinal values.
- Kadaknath chicken breeds are adaptable to any kind of environment.
- Kadaknath chicken meat and their eggs are sold for high price in the market.
- This bird meat contains many kinds of amino acids, and vitamins.
- This meat helps to increase blood cells and haemoglobin.
- Kadaknath chicken is said to be aids in curing pulmonary problems.
- The Kadaknath birds convert feed quickly into the meat (feed conversion ratio is high).
- The Kadaknath chicken eggs are used to treat headaches, post delivery problems, asthma and nephritis.
- Kadaknath chicken is said to be good for women health as well.
- The tribal community in MP uses Kadaknath chicken blood in the treatment of chronic disease.
- The Kadaknath chicken eggs are also have good nutrition values and good for old people.
- Kadaknath black meat contains vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, niacin, protein, fat, calcium, phosphorus, iron, and nicotinic acid
- The Kadaknath breed is hardy and highly resistant for diseases.
- Unlike broiler chicken, these can survive even on kitchen waste.
- The best advantage is, these birds meat has more protein, less fat, and low cholesterol when compared to similar kind of poultry breeds.
- Kadaknath chicken weighs about 1.5 Kg after growing 6 to 7 months.
- Kadaknath is one of the rarest birds available in the world.
- Commercial scale farming of Kadaknath chicken defiantly fetchs good profits if proper marketing channel is established.
- Some state governments like Madhya Pradesh have incentive scheme for people who were interested in breeding the Kadaknath chicken.
Nutritional Value Comparison:- The following chart compares the Kadaknath nutritional values with other chicken breeds.
Properties Kadaknath Chicken Other Breeds of Chickens
Protein content 25% 18 to 20%
Fat content 0.73 to 1.03 13 to 25%
Linoleic Acid 24% 21%
Cholesterol 184mg / 100gm 218.mg / 100gm
How to Start Kadaknath Chicken Farming:- Well, this is similar to any other country chicken farming.
- Get good breeds of Kadaknath birds.
- Make sure you bring day old chicks with proper vaccinations.
- Start with 30 to 50 birds and keep increasing the bird count as you gain the experience.
- Find out with poultry department of Agriculture University for chicks and feed information.
- Some state government are providing incentives on these birds breeding, avail those benefits.
- For couple of weeks these require proper care and provide necessary shelter /light /water/feed.
- Don’t start on large scale without knowing the poultry line of business.
- If you are starting a commercial Kadaknath chicken farming, make sure you establish a proper marketing channel.
- Follow the scheduled vaccination chart to avoid any diseases.
|Weight of Day Old Kadaknath Chicks||28 to 30 grams|
|Bird Body Colour||Jet black|
|Price for Parent Stock (chicks)||Rs. 20 to 22|
|Body weight in 8 weeks||0.8 0.9 kg|
|Period required to attain 1 kg of body weight||13 to14 Weeks|
|Survival rate||95 %|
|Period required to attain 1.5 to 2 Kg Body weight||Like Country Chicken|
|Total weight (male)||2.3 to 2.5 kg|
|Total weight (female)||1.6 to 1.8 kg|
|Quality of Meat||Black like pure country chicken|
|Taste of the meat||It tastes like country chicken.|
|Meat percentage without skin (dressed)||65 %|
|Are these good for Commercial or Backyard poultry farming||Good for both|
|Age for first egg laying||23 to 24 weeks|
|Annual egg laying||120|
|Average egg weight||40 to 45 grams.|
|Feed required||50 kg for entire growth|
Hurdles in Kadaknath Farming: - Inadequate availability of Kadaknath breed chicks and lack of proper financial support from government are posing major hurdle. For better development of this breed, Local governments should provide subsidies and loans to small scale farmers.